Beginning THE Discussion with Your Daughter

 Do you fear Beginning The Discussion With Your Daughter? It's a big step. As the mother to many, I'm going to tell you that talking to your children is one of the most important things you can do for them. There are so many people I hear who are scared to have this talk with their daughters. Is it because we view it taboo? C'mon, it's a natural part of being a girl.

I've always been outgoing and I doubt anyone has ever used the word "shy" to describe me. I'm confident going into the discussion about menstruation with The Beauty Queen and The Divine Miss M.

Ours started in public. We were shopping for a bra for me. I asked The Beauty Queen if she was ready for one and she flat out said, "No!" The Divine Miss M, however, saw one in teal and peace signs and thought I should extend the offer to her. When I told her it wasn't her time she asked, "How do you know, Mom?"

And then it began.

Remember last month I shared how my mom took me to watch a video in second grade, WITH my teacher. That was my talk. I want mine to be a little more personable than that and I know I don't want their memory to be one of "oh, my gosh! I can't believe my mother did that" because let's face it, there are so many OTHER things I prefer I get THAT credit for in my parenting! I joined the Break The Cycle pledge because I firmly believe it's time to stop menstruation from being taboo.

Our talk was very natural. I let the girls ask the questions and I answered them, leaving the door open for more questions if they were ready.

We covered what happens, why it happens, and what it means. I think the biggest question was "when I get my period am I a woman?" Okay, this one is tricky. I answered it by saying, "No. It means your body is maturing and getting ready for you to grow into womanhood. It means you can have a baby, but this doesn't mean you should because you don't have a job and you are still a baby yourself."

I thought it was wild that The Divine Miss M had a lot more questions than The Beauty Queen. The Divine Miss M asks me new questions almost every day. I answer them and to us, it's just conversation. I like that.

We have made "Project Period" packs together. It contains the necessary products for the big day, specifically  U by Kotex Tween products. The girls think they are pretty neat with the colors and fancy packaging. I know they are reliable and will give my girls confidence when their day arrives.  We had a nice afternoon making the kits and talking about how to use each product.

I wrote this review while participating in a Brand Ambassador Campaign by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of U by Kotex Tween and received products to facilitate my post and a promotional item to thank me for taking the time to participate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

September 2008 Issue of Family Fun

Best Friends: A Reunion After 14 Years

Sometimes Waiting Isn't the Worst Thing